Tuesday, January 20, 2009

1-13-09 New Orleans

Today I didn't feel like a tourist and I felt like I was making some sort of difference. We went down to the 9th Ward and worked with a neighborhood association called NENA and they help maintain homes and yards for people in the 9th that cannot afford to pay for those necessities. It really is a great program. 

While we did get a lot done, I still feel like we got a late start on the work; I guess it was the Louisiana time that I am not used to. Anyways, we worked with one of the leaders of NENA named Lavan and he gave us all the necessary supplies to help maintain these two properties we worked on for the day. I have never been more excited to cut someones lawn today and the funny thing is I never met this family once. There was sooo much trash and dry wall left in this yard it was nuts! But we finished this house in less than an hour. We really did kick some a** today in the 9th

While it was great to not feel like a tourist and it was all about work work work, there was a somber moment. Pat had found this backpack underneath the home and he opened it and there were some clothes and supplies and a picture of Jesus in the bag. I was working hard at the moment but I just had to pause and think about the person that packed the backpack and then possibly lost it in the midst of Katrina. But then I got back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment